The assault and robbery followed an attempted robbery on campus early Saturday morning when three assailants tried to wrest away a male student's backpack.
The Sunday night robbery occurred at 9:11 p.m. when the victim was walking near the library, campus police said in a "Crime Alert."
One of the robbers approached the student and pointed a black handgun at his chest and demanded the student's cell phone. The robber then pushed the victim in the chest, knocking him to the ground, police said.
The student dropped the cell phone, and one of the suspects picked it up, according to police. The pair then ran away, eluding a subsequent police search.
Berkeley has experienced a jump in evening robberies this year, including around the UC Berkeley campus. (See a list of related articles at the bottom of this article.)
Here is the full UC Berkeley police alert about the Sunday night crime:
On Sunday, October 13th, 2013, at 9:11 p.m. an armed robbery occurred near Moffitt Library. The male student victim was walking westbound on University Drive when he saw two males walking towards him. Suspect #1 walked up to the victim and pointed a black handgun at his chest and demanded the victim’s cell phone. Before the victim could comply the suspect pushed him in the chest knocking him to the ground. The victim dropped his phone and one of the suspects picked it up. The suspects fled the scene running northbound on the west side of Haviland Hall. UCPD searched the area but could not find the suspects. The victim was not physically injured during the encounter.
The suspects are described as:
Suspect #1 – A Black male, 6’0” in height, with a light build and dark complexion, wearing a dark sweatshirt and dark pants.
Suspect #2 – A Black male, 5’10” in height, with a light build, wearing a dark outfit.
If you have any information about this crime or this suspect, please contact:
University of California Police Department
Criminal Investigation Bureau
(510) 642-0472 / 8AM–5PM
(510) 642-6760 / All other times
UCPD would like to remind the campus community about the following safety tips:
- Utilize the free Night Safety Services located at http://nightsafety.berkeley.edu
- Travel with a friend or in a group
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings
- Avoid dark, vacant or deserted areas
- Use well-lit, well-traveled routes
- Dress in clothes and shoes which will not hamper movement
- When out and about, keep your electronic devices out of public view as they are a popular robbery target
- Dial 510-642-3333 or use a Blue Light emergency phone if you need help.
- Cal Student Assaulted by 3 Robbers on Campus
- Student Shoved, Robbed of Cell Phone next to Cal Dorm
- Woman Hit, Robbed Next to UC Campus
- 3 Arrested After Employee Kicked in Tip-Jar Robbery at Caffe Med
- FBI Crime Data Reflects Berkeley Crime Increase
- String of Weekend Assaults on UC Berkeley Fraternity Row
- Cell Phone Robbery on UC Campus – Minor Injuries to Female Victim
- Berkeley Pedestrian Robberies Jump 35% This Year
- Another Robbery Near UC Berkeley
- Another Robbery: Cal Student Pushed from Behind While Walking
- Another Armed Robbery in Berkeley
- UC Student Describes Being Robbed as Bystander Stood By
- Armed Robbery at North Gate of Cal Campus
- Purse-Grab Robbery of Woman on Telegraph Ave.
- 2 Females Pushed, Robbed at Gunpoint South of UC Campus
- 2 Students Robbed at Gunpoint at UC Housing Complex
- Man, Woman Robbed at Gunpoint Near UC Campus
- 5 Robbers Take Man's Cell Phone, Wallet at Gunpoint Near Cal Campus