The student tried to chase the male suspect and fell, suffering a laceration to her knee, police said in a "Crime Alert."
The victim had been talking on her iPhone while walking south on a main path between Durant and Dwinelle Halls.
The campus has been plagued by a number of recent robberies. (See list of related articles below.) Campus police last week beefed up patrols and posted flyers around campus following four armed robberies on or near the campus during the previous week.
Here is the full UC Berkeley police alert with more details, including a description of the suspect and police safety tips:
UCPD crime report # 13-04085
October 23, 2013
On Monday, October 21st, 2013, at 7:07 p.m. a robbery occurred on the pathway between Durant Hall and Dwinelle Hall. The victim, a female student, was walking southbound on the pathway talking on her iPhone when she was approached by a male. The male suspect walked up to the victim, slapped her right cheek/ear area and grabbed her phone. The suspect fled running towards Moffit Library. The victim tried to chase the suspect but tripped and fell. UCPD searched the area but was unable to locate the suspect. The victim suffered a laceration to her knee when she fell.
The suspect is described as:
A Black male, 6’02” in height, with a medium build, clean shaven, wearing a grey hooded sweatshirt and dark pants.If you have any information about this crime, please contact:
University of California Police Department
Criminal Investigation Bureau
(510) 642-0472 / 8AM-5PM
(510) 642-6760 / All other times
As with any emergency situation, if you see suspicious activity, call 9-1-1.
From a cell phone, call (510) 642-3333.
• Utilize the free Night Safety Services located at
• Travel with a friend or in a group
• Be alert and aware of your surroundings
• Avoid dark, vacant or deserted areas
• Use well-lit, well-traveled routes
• Dress in clothes and shoes which will not hamper movement
• When out and about, keep your electronic devices out of public view as
they are a popular robbery target
• Dial 510-642-3333 or use a Blue Light emergency phone if you need help.
- UC Police Beefing Up Patrols After Rash of Robberies
- Another Armed Robbery of a Cal Student on Campus
- Student Knocked Down, Robbed at Gunpoint on Cal Campus
- Cal Student Assaulted by 3 Robbers on Campus
- Student Shoved, Robbed of Cell Phone next to Cal Dorm
- Woman Hit, Robbed Next to UC Campus
- 3 Arrested After Employee Kicked in Tip-Jar Robbery at Caffe Med
- FBI Crime Data Reflects Berkeley Crime Increase
- String of Weekend Assaults on UC Berkeley Fraternity Row
- Cell Phone Robbery on UC Campus – Minor Injuries to Female Victim
- Berkeley Pedestrian Robberies Jump 35% This Year
- Another Robbery Near UC Berkeley
- Another Robbery: Cal Student Pushed from Behind While Walking
- Another Armed Robbery in Berkeley
- UC Student Describes Being Robbed as Bystander Stood By
- Armed Robbery at North Gate of Cal Campus
- Purse-Grab Robbery of Woman on Telegraph Ave.
- 2 Females Pushed, Robbed at Gunpoint South of UC Campus
- 2 Students Robbed at Gunpoint at UC Housing Complex
- Man, Woman Robbed at Gunpoint Near UC Campus
- 5 Robbers Take Man's Cell Phone, Wallet at Gunpoint Near Cal Campus
For other police-related news on Berkeley Patch, see our "Police and Fire" section.