Last Thursday, Aug. 15, a strong-arm robbery occurred at 12:56 p.m. in O'Brien Hall and Hesse Hall, which are adjoining buildings near the North Gate of campus, police said. University employees detained the suspect, 53-year-old George Davis, who was arrested by campus police, police said.
The next day, Aug. 16, Davis "escaped from a non-secured Alameda County facility and he is no longer in custody," UC police said in a crime alert.
"Please keep your eyes out for this individual and call UCPD immediately at (510) 642-3333 if you see him," the alert said. "An active warrant has been issued for his arrest."
Police released the accompanying photo of Davis and said he is 5-feet 9-inches tall and weighs 165 pounds.
Other recent Berkeley robbery stories published on Patch include:
- UC Student Describes Being Robbed as Bystander Stood By
- Armed Robbery at North Gate of Cal Campus
- Purse-Grab Robbery of Woman on Telegraph Ave.
- 2 Females Pushed, Robbed at Gunpoint South of UC Campus
- 2 Students Robbed at Gunpoint at UC Housing Complex
- Man, Woman Robbed at Gunpoint Near UC Campus
- 5 Robbers Take Man's Cell Phone, Wallet at Gunpoint Near Cal Campus
For other police-related news on Berkeley Patch, see our "Police and Fire" section.