The 20-year-old student was walking from Evans Hall at 10:27 p.m. when he was accosted by the four suspects north of the main Doe Library, police said in a crime alert.
The suspects blocked his path and one of them grabbed his arms, police said.
The other suspects "attacked the victim and told him to empty his pockets," according to the crime alert. "The victim screamed and the suspects fled on foot. The victim was not injured during the encounter."
Campus police and Berkeley police searched for the suspects but were not able to locate them, police said. No detailed description of the suspects was provided.
Anyone with information about this crime or the suspects is asked to contact the criminal investigation bureau at the UC Berkeley police department at (510) 642-0472 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and (510) 642-6760 at other times.
The incident is one of many robberies and attempted robberies on and near the Cal campus in recent weeks. On Wednesday night, a woman was robbed of her cell phone by two males a block north of campus at Scenic Avenue and Ridge Road, according to campus police.
- Woman Robbed of Cell Phone near Cal Campus (Nov. 1, 2013)
- Female Student Slapped, Robbed on Cal Campus (Oct. 23, 2013)
- UC Police Beefing Up Patrols After Rash of Robberies (Oct. 16, 2013)
- Another Armed Robbery of a Cal Student on Campus (Oct. 15, 2013)
- Student Knocked Down, Robbed at Gunpoint on Cal Campus (Oct. 14, 2013)
- Cal Student Assaulted by 3 Robbers on Campus (Oct. 14, 2013)
- Student Shoved, Robbed of Cell Phone next to Cal Dorm (Oct. 12, 2013)
- Woman Hit, Robbed Next to UC Campus (Oct. 10, 2013)
- 3 Arrested After Employee Kicked in Tip-Jar Robbery at Caffe Med (Oct. 3, 2013)
- FBI Crime Data Reflects Berkeley Crime Increase
- String of Weekend Assaults on UC Berkeley Fraternity Row
- Cell Phone Robbery on UC Campus – Minor Injuries to Female Victim
- Berkeley Pedestrian Robberies Jump 35% This Year
- Another Robbery Near UC Berkeley
- Another Robbery: Cal Student Pushed from Behind While Walking
- Another Armed Robbery in Berkeley
- UC Student Describes Being Robbed as Bystander Stood By
- Armed Robbery at North Gate of Cal Campus
- Purse-Grab Robbery of Woman on Telegraph Ave.
- 2 Females Pushed, Robbed at Gunpoint South of UC Campus
- 2 Students Robbed at Gunpoint at UC Housing Complex
- Man, Woman Robbed at Gunpoint Near UC Campus
- 5 Robbers Take Man's Cell Phone, Wallet at Gunpoint Near Cal Campus
For other police-related news on Berkeley Patch, see our "Police and Fire" section.