Children and youths age 18 and younger may eat free in Berkeley from June 18 to Aug. 24. Since school meals are not available during the summer vacation, the city, in collaboration with the California Department of Education, is offering free summer lunches and snacks at sites across the city. Parks, recreation and waterfront department staff members supervise the seven sites.
All of the Berkeley summer food sites offer recreational activities. Children and youths need simply show up at a site when meals are being served.
From June 18 through August 24, lunch will be served between 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., a snack between 3 and 4 p.m.
The sites include:
- James Kenney Community Center, 1720 8th St.
- MLK Jr Youth Center, 1730 Oregon St.
- Frances Albrier Community Center, 2800 Park St.
- Harrison Street Skate Park, 5th and Harrison streets
- Black Repertory Theater Group, 3210 Adeline St.
- Malcolm X Elementary School 1731 Prince St.
- Berkeley Youth Alternatives/Strawberry Creek Park, 1255 Allston Way
Residents with questions may contact Ginsi Bryant at 510-981-6652.
-- Staff report