Superintendent Donald Evans joined the district this school year after being hired by the school board last spring. He was previously the schools' chief in Hayward.
Receptions for him are being held tonight, Sept. 12, and Sept. 26, while three "Community Town Hall Meetings" with Evans are scheduled for Oct. 8, 10 and 17. (See details on places and times below.)
A notice on the district website says the receptions are "to welcome our new superintendent."
"The Town Hall Meetings, facilitated by Superintendent Evans, will give him the chance to hear from the Berkeley community, answer questions, and to introduce himself and share his vision for Berkeley public schools," the notice says.
The following schedule comes from the school district:
- September 12 at 5:30 pm, at Annie’s Homegrown, 1610 Fifth Street. Hosted by the Berkeley Chamber of Commerce and Annie’s Homegrown. The Superintendent will be welcomed and introduced to the business community at their regular September mixer. Light refreshments will be served.
- September 26 at 6:00 pm, at McGee Avenue Baptist Church, 1640 Stuart Street. Hosted by Berkeley Organizing Congregations for Action (BOCA). The Superintendent will be welcomed and introduced to the 18 Berkeley congregations that BOCA represents.
Community Town Hall Meetings:
- October 8 at 7:00 pm at Frances Albrier Community Center, San Pablo Park, 2800 Park Street.
- October 10 at 7:00 pm at Rosa Parks Elementary School at 920 Allston Way. Meeting conducted in Spanish.
- October 17 at 7:00 pm at Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School, 1781 Rose Street.