The student was walking on a path next to McCone Hall on the north side of the main campus when two males in black hoodies approached him from behind, police said in a "Crime Alert." They demanded his property, and one showed the handle of handgun in his pocket.
The student complied with the demand, and the robbers ran off, eluding a subsequent police search, according to police. A description of the suspects is provided in the text of the police Crime Alert below.
It was the fifth robbery case on or near campus since Thursday.
A male student was knocked down and robbed at gunpoint near Moffitt Library at 9:11 p.m. Sunday night. Another male student was accosted by three males who tried to wrest away his backpack on a campus path at 12:40 a.m. Saturday.
About 7:35 p.m. Thursday, a female student waiting for a shuttle outside a campus dorm on Channing Way was shoved and robbed of her cell phone. Around 5:30 a.m. that day, a 57-year-old woman affiliated with campus was walking near Berkeley Way and Oxford Street when she was robbed by a man armed with a gun. That intersection is on the western edge of the main campus.
There's been a spike in pedestrian robberies in Berkeley this year, including the UC Berkeley campus area. (A list of recent articles can be found at the bottom of this article.)
Here is the full UC Berkeley police alert about this morning's robbery:
Armed RobberyUCPD crime report # 13-03990
North Side of McCone Hall
On Tuesday, October 15th, 2013, at 7:38 a.m. a male student came into the Lobby of UCPD in Sproul Hall to report having been the victim of an armed robbery 25 minutes prior. The victim was walking northbound on the pathway between North Gate and University Drive when was approached from behind by two males. The two suspects demanded the victim’s property and one of the suspects showed the victim the handle of a handgun in his pocket. The victim complied with the demand and suspects ran away toward Hearst Avenue. The victim was not physically injured during the encounter. UCPD searched the area but was unable to locate the suspects.
The suspects are described as:
Suspect #1 – A Black male, 18 to 20 years of age, 5’10” in height, with a medium build, some facial hair on chin, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and black pants.
Suspect #2 – A Black male, 20 to 23 years of age, 6’0” in height, with a slender build, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and black pants, carrying a black handgun.
If you have any information about this crime, please contact:
University of California Police Department
Criminal Investigation Bureau
(510) 642-0472 / 8AM-5PM
(510) 642-6760 / All other times
- Student Knocked Down, Robbed at Gunpoint on Cal Campus
- Cal Student Assaulted by 3 Robbers on Campus
- Student Shoved, Robbed of Cell Phone next to Cal Dorm
- Woman Hit, Robbed Next to UC Campus
- 3 Arrested After Employee Kicked in Tip-Jar Robbery at Caffe Med
- FBI Crime Data Reflects Berkeley Crime Increase
- String of Weekend Assaults on UC Berkeley Fraternity Row
- Cell Phone Robbery on UC Campus – Minor Injuries to Female Victim
- Berkeley Pedestrian Robberies Jump 35% This Year
- Another Robbery Near UC Berkeley
- Another Robbery: Cal Student Pushed from Behind While Walking
- Another Armed Robbery in Berkeley
- UC Student Describes Being Robbed as Bystander Stood By
- Armed Robbery at North Gate of Cal Campus
- Purse-Grab Robbery of Woman on Telegraph Ave.
- 2 Females Pushed, Robbed at Gunpoint South of UC Campus
- 2 Students Robbed at Gunpoint at UC Housing Complex
- Man, Woman Robbed at Gunpoint Near UC Campus
- 5 Robbers Take Man's Cell Phone, Wallet at Gunpoint Near Cal Campus