A "Crime Alert" from the campus police provided the following description:
Robbery and Assault
On Thursday, October 10, 2013, at approximately 5:30 a.m. a robbery occurred near the intersection of Berkeley Way and Oxford Street. The victim, a 57 year old female affiliate, was walking in the area when she was grabbed from behind by the suspect. The suspect was armed with a handgun and demanded the victim’s property. The victim stated that she didn’t have any money. The suspect struck the victim, possibly with the gun or his hand. The victim fell to the ground and the suspect grabbed the victim’s purse. The suspect was last seen running westbound on Center Street. The victim sustained non-life threatening injuries and declined medical treatment at the scene. BPD (Berkeley Police Department) and UCPD searched the area but could not locate the suspect.
The suspect is described as:
A Black male, 30-35 years of age, 5’10” in height, 150 lbs., with a thin build, black hair and medium complexion, wearing a black jacket and dark pants.
If you have any information about this crime, please contact:
Berkeley Police Department
(510) 981-5900 / 24 Hours
Berkeley has experienced a spike in robberies this year, with a number occurring near campus.
- 3 Arrested After Employee Kicked in Tip-Jar Robbery at Caffe Med
- FBI Crime Data Reflects Berkeley Crime Increase
- String of Weekend Assaults on UC Berkeley Fraternity Row
- Cell Phone Robbery on UC Campus – Minor Injuries to Female Victim
- Berkeley Pedestrian Robberies Jump 35% This Year
- Another Robbery Near UC Berkeley
- Another Robbery: Cal Student Pushed from Behind While Walking
- Another Armed Robbery in Berkeley
- UC Student Describes Being Robbed as Bystander Stood By
- Armed Robbery at North Gate of Cal Campus
- Purse-Grab Robbery of Woman on Telegraph Ave.
- 2 Females Pushed, Robbed at Gunpoint South of UC Campus
- 2 Students Robbed at Gunpoint at UC Housing Complex
- Man, Woman Robbed at Gunpoint Near UC Campus
- 5 Robbers Take Man's Cell Phone, Wallet at Gunpoint Near Cal Campus
Campus police offered the following safety tips:
- Utilize the free Night Safety Services located at http://nightsafety.berkeley.edu
- Travel with a friend or in a group
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings
- Avoid dark, vacant or deserted areas
- Use well-lit, well-traveled routes
- Dress in clothes and shoes which will not hamper movement
- Adopt an attitude of awareness and take precautions when you must walk alone
- Dial 510-642-3333 or use a Blue Light emergency phone if you need help.
For other police-related news on Berkeley Patch, see our "Police and Fire" section.