The attempted robbery occurred about 6 a.m. in the 2400 block of Bancroft Way, between Telegraph Avenue and Dana Street, police said.
After the victim reported the assault, the 27-year-old suspect was located by UC police nearby and detained in front of Wells Fargo Bank, police said.
UC Berkeley police described the attack in a "crime alert":
"The City of Berkeley Police Department reports that on Monday, January 20th, 2014, at approximately 6:00 a.m., an attempted robbery and assault with a deadly weapon occurred on the 2400 block of Bancroft.
"The victim, a 27 year old non-affiliated male, had just parked his vehicle on Bancroft when he was approached by the male suspect. The suspect pulled out a knife and ordered the victim to give him his car keys.
"The suspect jabbed the knife towards the victim. The victim defended himself and a struggle ensued. The victim broke free and went to his workplace where he called police.
"UCPD officers responded to the scene and detained the suspect in front of Wells Fargo Bank. The suspect was taken into custody by BPD. The victim suffered non-life threatening injuries during the altercation."
The campus vicinity has been plagued by robberies involving physical assaults in the past few weeks, including these cases:
- Daytime Assault, Armed Robbery in People's Park (Jan. 13, 2014)
- Suspect Caught in Daytime Robbery Next to Cal Campus (Jan. 11, 2014)
- Student Assaulted, Robbed of Cell Phone on Berkeley Campus (Jan. 7, 2014)
- Woman Robbed in People's Park Monday Morning (Dec. 24, 2013)
- Female, 19, Punched in Face, Robbed Near UC Campus (Dec. 20, 2013)
- Woman, Man Injured in Violent Armed Robbery South of Cal Campus (Dec. 19, 2013)
- Armed Robbery in Downtown Berkeley, Victim Hit (Dec. 19, 2013)
- Female Student Attacked in Robbery Attempt on Cal Campus (Dec. 18, 2013)
- Victim Hit with Gun in Robbery Next to UC Berkeley Campus (Dec. 13, 2013)
- Employee Punched in Ice Cream Shop Robbery 2 Blocks from Cal Campus (Dec. 13, 2013)
- Female UC Student Attacked, Robbed – Suffers Minor Injuries (Dec. 12, 2013)