The attempted strong-arm robbery occurred at 12:40 a.m. on a path between Dwinelle Hall and and the Valley Life Sciences Building, campus police said in a "Crime Alert."
There has been a surge of robberies in Berkeley this year, including around the UC Berkeley campus. (See a list of related articles at the bottom of this article.)
Here is the full UC Berkeley police alert:
On Saturday, October 12th, 2013, at 12:40 a.m. an attempted strong arm robbery occurred on Campanile Way. The male student victim was walking between Dwinelle Hall and Valley Life Sciences Building when he was confronted by three males. Suspect #2 got in front of the victim and Suspect #1 grabbed the victim’s backpack from behind in an attempted to take it. Suspect #2 verbally threatened the victim. The victim struggled, held on to his backpack and began to yell. When the victim started yelling the three suspects fled the scene running eastbound towards the Campanile. The victim walked home and called the UCPD to report the crime. UCPD searched the area but could not find the suspects. The victim was not physically injured during the encounter.
The suspects are described as:
Suspect #1 – A male possibly Asian in his late teens or early 20s, 6’0” in height, with a thin build and dark complexion, wearing a red hooded sweatshirt.
Suspect #2 – An Asian male in his late teens or early 20s, 5’10” in height, with a thin build, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt
Suspect #3 – An unknown race male in his late teens early 20s, approximately 5’10 in height, with a thin build, wearing dark clothing.If you have any information about this crime, please contact:
University of California Police Department
Criminal Investigation Bureau
(510) 642-0472 / 8AM-5PM
(510) 642-6760 / All other times
- Student Shoved, Robbed of Cell Phone next to Cal Dorm
- Woman Hit, Robbed Next to UC Campus
- 3 Arrested After Employee Kicked in Tip-Jar Robbery at Caffe Med
- FBI Crime Data Reflects Berkeley Crime Increase
- String of Weekend Assaults on UC Berkeley Fraternity Row
- Cell Phone Robbery on UC Campus – Minor Injuries to Female Victim
- Berkeley Pedestrian Robberies Jump 35% This Year
- Another Robbery Near UC Berkeley
- Another Robbery: Cal Student Pushed from Behind While Walking
- Another Armed Robbery in Berkeley
- UC Student Describes Being Robbed as Bystander Stood By
- Armed Robbery at North Gate of Cal Campus
- Purse-Grab Robbery of Woman on Telegraph Ave.
- 2 Females Pushed, Robbed at Gunpoint South of UC Campus
- 2 Students Robbed at Gunpoint at UC Housing Complex
- Man, Woman Robbed at Gunpoint Near UC Campus
- 5 Robbers Take Man's Cell Phone, Wallet at Gunpoint Near Cal Campus