The department has received a number of calls in the past week about such calls in North Berkeley, police said. The man says the funds must electronically transferred and provides the telephone number (559) 800-7403 to call to make the wire transfer, according to police.
"This is a scam!" the police department said. "If you do receive a telephone call from a person stating they are PG&E, you can always call into PG&E yourself to confirm. PG&E’s customer service telephone number is (800) 743-5000."
PG&E never asks for immediate payment with a cash card over the phone or in person, police said.
The police department alert also relayed the following tips from PG&E:
- PG&E’s Credit Department will not ask for personal information or a credit card number over the phone. Anyone who has received such a phone call and provided credit card or checking account information should report it immediately to the credit card company or bank and law enforcement.
- Customers with concerns about the legitimacy of a call about a past due bill, service request or request for personal information are encouraged to call PG&E at 1-800-743-5000.
- Customers should always ask to see identification before allowing anyone claiming to be a PG&E representative inside their home. PG&E employees always carry their identification and are willing to show it to you.
- If a person claiming to be a PG&E employee has identification and you still feel uncomfortable, call PG&E’s customer service line at 1-800-743-5000 to verify an appointment and/or PG&E’s presence in the community. If you feel threatened in any way, notify local law enforcement immediately.
- Customers who have an appointment with PG&E will receive an automated call back within 48 hours prior to a scheduled visit, or a personal call from a PG&E gas service representative prior to a scheduled visit.
Anyone who has been victimized by the scam and lost money can report the fraud by calling Berkeley police at (510) 981-5900.
For other police-related news on Berkeley Patch, see our "Police and Fire" section.