The victim heard someone run up behind her as she was walking at 1:39 a.m., according to a police crime alert.
"The suspect approached her and demanded her property," the alert said. "The suspect had his hand in his waistband, as if he had a gun. The suspect took the victims property and left the scene on foot."
The victim was not injured in the encounter, police said. Campus police and City of Berkeley police searched the area but did not find him.
The intersection is on "fraternity row," four blocks south of the main UC Berkeley campus and half block north of the Clark Kerr Campus student housing complex.
UC police said the robber was described as a "black male, approximately 19 years of age, 5’-7” in height, thin build, dark complexion, and wearing a red/brown/green beanie cap (that matched his belt), a black t-shirt, medium wash baggy jeans, and blue/white boxers."
Anyone with information about the crime is urged to contact Berkeley police at their 24-hour number (510) 981-5900.
UC police also added the following safety tips:
• Utilize the free Night Safety Services located at
• Travel with a friend or in a group
• Be alert and aware of your surroundings
• Avoid dark, vacant or deserted areas
• Use well-lit, well-traveled routes
• Dress in clothes and shoes which will not hamper movement
• Adopt an attitude of awareness and take precautions when you must walk alone
• Dial 510-642-3333 or use a Blue Light emergency phone if you need help.
- Another Robbery: Cal Student Pushed from Behind While Walking
- Another Armed Robbery in Berkeley
- UC Student Describes Being Robbed as Bystander Stood By
- Armed Robbery at North Gate of Cal Campus
- Purse-Grab Robbery of Woman on Telegraph Ave.
- 2 Females Pushed, Robbed at Gunpoint South of UC Campus
- 2 Students Robbed at Gunpoint at UC Housing Complex
- Man, Woman Robbed at Gunpoint Near UC Campus
- 5 Robbers Take Man's Cell Phone, Wallet at Gunpoint Near Cal Campus
For another way to connect with Berkeley Patch, you can "like" us on Facebook.