The robbery at the well-known cafe occurred about 11:37 p.m., according to a "Crime Alert" from UC Berkeley police.
"Three male suspects were in the Caffé and one of them stole cash from the tip jar," the crime alert said. "An employee confronted the suspects, a physical conflict ensued and the suspects began kicking the victim.
"One of the suspects threatened that he had a handgun. The suspects fled southbound on Telegraph."
A few minutes after the robbery, "witnesses reported hearing a shot," said Berkeley police Officer Jennifer Coats.
UC Berkeley and City of Berkeley officers "responded to the call and detained two of the three suspects as they were attempting to flee the scene," UC police said. "Officers searched the area and found the third suspect."
A gun believed to have been discarded by one of the suspects was found in the 2600 block of Regent Street, Coats said.
The Caffe Med employee "sustained non-life threatening injuries," UC police said.
Two of the suspects are 19 and one is 18, according to police. All are from Oakland.
They were all arrested on suspicion of robbery and a variety or firearms charges and are being held at Santa Rita Jail on bail amounts ranging from $75,000 to $250,000, according to inmate records from the Alameda County Sheriff's Office.
Anyone with information about the crime is urged to call the 24-hour Berkeley police number, (510) 981-5900.
- Cell Phone Robbery on UC Campus – Minor Injuries to Female Victim
- Berkeley Pedestrian Robberies Jump 35% This Year
- Another Robbery Near UC Berkeley
- Another Robbery: Cal Student Pushed from Behind While Walking
- Another Armed Robbery in Berkeley
- UC Student Describes Being Robbed as Bystander Stood By
- Armed Robbery at North Gate of Cal Campus
- Purse-Grab Robbery of Woman on Telegraph Ave.
- 2 Females Pushed, Robbed at Gunpoint South of UC Campus
- 2 Students Robbed at Gunpoint at UC Housing Complex
- Man, Woman Robbed at Gunpoint Near UC Campus
- 5 Robbers Take Man's Cell Phone, Wallet at Gunpoint Near Cal Campus
For other police-related news on Berkeley Patch, see our "Police and Fire" section.