Worms Fly as IVY + BEAN, THE MUSICAL, Premieres Saturday, February 9
The exuberant adventures of quiet Ivy, who has great ideas, and outgoing Bean, who loves putting ideas into action, are coming to the stage in IVY + BEAN, THE MUSICAL, a world premiere by the Bay Area Children’s Theatre (BACT), opening Saturday, February 9, at 2 p.m. at the Freight & Salvage, 2020 Addison Street, Berkeley.
Based on the New York Times best-selling Ivy + Bean stories by Berkeley author Annie Barrows and illustrator Sophie Blackhall, IVY + BEAN, THE MUSICAL, explores how two second graders who are very different become inseparable friends. Families will chortle at the antics taking place on Pancake Court when Ivy, who wants to be a witch, conspires with Bean, who really, really wants to get back at her older sister, Nancy. Along the way, young audiences will learn some heartwarming lessons about love, life, family, and friends.
This sparkling new production, directed by Ben Hanna, with book, music, and lyrics by Scott Elmegreen, plays in Berkeley, February 9 – March 3, at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., before moving to San Ramon and Mill Valley. Recommended for ages 4 and up.
TICKETS: $20 adults, $17 seniors, $15 children, $12 groups
BOX OFFICE: http://www.bactheatre.org/ and (510) 296-4433
To create IVY + BEAN, THE MUSICAL, BACT has launched an online Kickstarter campaign to secure $5,000 in special funding. For more information about the production and the campaign, go to http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bact/creating-ivy-bean-the-musical.
About Bay Area Children's Theatre
Our Mission: To inspire young audiences with imaginative productions, introduce children of all backgrounds to the excitement of live theatre, and create an engaging, entertaining, and educational environment in which children and their families can explore and enjoy the arts.
How We Carry Out Our Mission
- Bring high quality, professional theatre to children and their families, with artists who create vibrant worlds that are intriguing to young audiences
- Encourage young people to explore literature, language, and the arts by producing stage adaptations of great children’s books
- Engage pre-kindergartners in the world of theatre with productions specially designed for them
- Develop and perform exciting new work for the stage
- Reach out to children who might not otherwise experience live theatre with free tickets and touring productions at local schools, libraries and community centers
- Create touring productions for young audiences nationwide
- Introduce children to the joy of performance with theatre classes, workshops, and summer camp sessions through our Youth Education Program.
Bay Area Children's Theatre (BACT) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.